Friday, March 23, 2007

No Such Thing as Competition

NOTICE: We've Moved! Please click here to be taken to the new location!!

Did the title catch your attention? I'll bet it did because we're all taught from an early age that in order to win, we must compete against others.

The notion of competition lends to the idea that there isn't enough to go around. But it flies in the face of the universal source of abundance - the universe has unlimited resources.

In his blog, Steve Pavlina makes a very interesting point:

What happens when people put out conflicting intentions, like two people intending to get the same promotion when only one position is available?

Since you’re the only intender, this is entirely an internal conflict — within YOU. You’re holding the thought (the intention) for both people to want the same position. But you’re also thinking (intending) that only one can get it. So you’re intending competition. This whole situation is your creation. You believe in competition, so that’s what you manifest. Maybe you have some beliefs (thoughts and intentions) about who will get the promotion, in which case your expectations will manifest. But you may have a higher order belief that life is random, unfair, uncertain, etc., so in that case you may manifest a surprise because that’s what you’re intending.

Interesting point of view, isn't it?

Not enough companies do this but have you noticed how some of them (who might be considered competitors) have found that by collaborating their resources, for example, to make a movie or drill oil in the Far East, they are accomplishing what they could not do by themselves?

The other day I mentioned that after googling "law of attraction," I stumbled upon Wendy's "Creation Thoughts" blog. I was so taken by her articles on this subject that I read every single one of them well into the night. Her articles then led me to her other website.

As you already know, I was so impressed that not only did I end up subscribing to her motivational newsletter but I also linked my blog to her sites. Then I wrote her a glowing email thanking her for the well written articles and explained how they touched me. In that email, I informed her that "Adversity University" readers now knew about her. She was so grateful that she ended up exchanging what we call in the blogging world "love links." You can read some of the wonderful comments she made about me here.

The point?

To the average person, Wendy and I might be considered "competitors" because we are both writers and public speakers. That might lead some people to think that we wouldn't want to help one another because in their minds, there aren't enough speaking/writing opportunities out there. After all they might argue, if you googled "motivational speakers," you'd get page after page of speakers. Too many speakers and not enough speaking/writing opportunities. Right??

Not so!

According to the law of attraction, if you intend to experience competition, that's what you will attract. I will tell you that of all the professional speaking engagements that came my way, I've never had to compete with another speaker. To date, I've been hired on the basis of three things: 1) my speaking website, 2) my press kit (without a video) and finally 3) word of mouth. To my knowledge, it never came down between me and someone else!

We do not need to compete because we are all unique with unique skills, thoughts and energy patterns. None of us are the same. We might have like thoughts but we have different ways of expressing ourselves. We have different writing styles and talents.

A case in point: Not everyone is a deaf motivational speaker who happens to be a former Wall Street stockbroker. Nor does anyone write the way I do. No one else became the first deaf pilot in the world to be instrument rated. Finally, no one owns the rights to the "The Jordan Factor" speech because it was I who experienced that (about my fifth grade teacher who caused a ripple effect on my life years ago).

Another example: How about a man who I have the honor and privilege of being my mentor, Howard Putnam? He bills himself as a former CEO of Southwest Airlines - you can see his site here. He is in great demand as a speaker and business consultant all over the world. Do you think he's worried about competition from other speakers? Although he has not specifically said anything to me on this subject, I would venture to say he isn't.

Why?

Because he knows he will attract the right kind of clientele who need to hear about his leadership techniques. There are very few "former Southwest CEO's" out there on the lecture circuit. He has his own style of presentation that is uniquely his and his alone. Whether or not he is aware of the spiritual law of giving principles, he certainly walks the talk. Not only has he reached out to me and opened some doors in the world of speaking, but he has also told others about me, just like I have told others about Wendy.

Do you see what I mean? Like Howard Putnam, Wendy and I, you are very unique and whatever it is that you have to offer, there are plenty of takers out there. Why do you think marketing experts tell us to look within ourselves and find something unique about ourselves? You have a story that's dying to be shared with the world. Your experiences are yours alone and that makes you makes you quite special.

Go and tell! And don't worry about competition. It doesn't exist unless you make it so.

Food for thought: You only experience competition if you intend it. Famous motivational speaker Zig Ziglar once said "if you help just enough other people get what they want, you'll get what you want."
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

This is a very interesting post Stephen, and you're right, there's more than enough out there for all of us, we just have to be willing to give it all to get it all. Thanks for the GREAT reminder!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home