Sunday, July 08, 2007

What is Your Gift to the World?

NOTICE: We've Moved! Please click here to be taken to the new location!!

You know, I want nothing but the best for those of you who are a part of the Adversity University community. I know how important your time is so I refuse to post just for the "sake of posting." That is, until I am inspired or find myself in that creative zone where the words flow from my mind to the keyboard easily and effortlessly. This causes me not to write for days or sometimes weeks, even months until BOOM, I'm hit with something I feel is worth your time.

Today I found it. I stumbled onto a YouTube video that blew me away this morning and I think it will do the same for you. It might even cause you to experience goose bumps!

While I cannot hear music or the voices behind them, I could tell how this man caused Simon Cowell, one of the judges, to cock his head curiously and bring another judge to tears (no, it wasn't Paula from American Idol but someone else from Great Britain in another TV show).

Watch their reactions when the man told them what he was going to sing. You could tell by their icy stares that they were extremely skeptical of his ability to carry it out, probably because of his appearance. Somewhat overweight with a chipped tooth and an unsmiling face, this man did not look like a star - not by a long shot. But to his credit, he did not let their looks of disapproval disintegrate his composure. In fact, he took his time, much to everyone's chagrin!

After Simon told him to "take it away when you are ready," there was an uncomfortably long period of silence. It was palpable - you could feel it - absolutely no one knew what to make of this man. During those few precious seconds of silence, you could literally "see" the oppressive sense of pressure building up all around him.

But the moment he opened his mouth, it was all over. The reaction was swift. In a matter of seconds, the energy switched from itchy, uncomfortable silence to incredible excitement. It was like pure magic.

Watching the video gave me chills and reminded me of what I experience from time to time when I am called to give a motivational speech. For those of you who know my background, I experienced an epiphany on the beach in Florida during one of my mini-vacations while working on Wall Street ("Trust that Bigger Things are in Store for You - The Beach"). It was at that moment when I realized that my gift to the world was not buying and selling stocks but using my ability to speak clearly and articulately despite being born deaf. When I am on stage, something profound takes place, just like what happened to this man you're about to watch. Like him, I become "one with the audience" and manage to convert even the harshest of skeptics into new fans, clients or even lifelong friends.

Like what happens in the video, I have seen people in the audience sit there with a smirk on their faces and folded arms. It's if they are saying, "Hey big shot, just who do you think you are? What do you have to say that would make my life better than it is already?" Despite the hurdle in overcoming these silent challenges, there is nothing more exhilarating than watching the face of these people undergo a gorgeous, divine transformation with a hearty laugh, smile or a tear because of something you just said. It's not about the standing ovations - it's about transforming lives. Isn't that what we're all here to do in the first place?

Okay, here it is:




Wasn't that incredible or what? This leads me to ask you: What is Your Gift to the World?

Think about it...... You were created for a divine purpose. You came here to carry out a specific mission. What is it?

You say you don't know? Don't despair. You really do know. The answer is inside you. All you have to do is ask your inner spirit.

Here's how you can coax it out of yourself. Ask yourself what areas you are really good in? Never mind the money-making potential. What have you done in the past that made time fly by so fast that you didn't realize what time it was when you were finished? Can you remember a time when you were a child when hours and hours went by without you noticing? You might want to review an article I wrote several months ago: "Trust that Your Passions will be Supported by the Universe." Here's another one: "Timing is Everything."

Imagine...someone like this guy who didn't fit the Hollywood stereotype of a "star" only to come on stage and blow everyone away. My God, isn't that the stuff that movies are made out of? Yet it actually happened - you saw it with your own eyes. If this guy can do the impossible, why not you? As you saw, you don't need to look like a top model, have a Ph.D, be a CEO or a celebrity to make a difference.

Dreams do come true!

Food for thought: What is your God given talent for the rest of the world? Your talents are very much needed!
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home