Friday, September 22, 2006

The World is Conspiring to Bless You

NOTICE: We've Moved! Please click here to be taken to the new location!!

A few months ago, I wrote a post entitled "Ask and You Shall Receive Miracles" which can be found by clicking here. I am a firm believer that if you have just enough faith and believe that the world is conspiring to shower you with blessings, then that's exactly what will happen to you.

When you walk around believing this, adversity is much easier to deal with. You still have to face it but it doesn't become a long, drawn out painful process. It's all about perception - how you see adversity that determines the outcome in your life.

Several months after I quit Wall Street (during the early nineties), I was running dangerously low on funds. I had sold off most of my investments to survive. It was one of the hardest times of my life.

It was also one of the best because I learned it didn’t take very much to survive.

One hot Saturday afternoon in July, I went to a seminar for the local chapter of the National Speakers Association in New York City. They had a guest speaker from out of town that had come in to talk to our group. It was a day-long event starting at 9 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m.

At noon, we were given an hour for lunch on our own. Not wanting to venture far because it was horribly muggy that day, I elected to eat at the hotel’s restaurant with another colleague from the seminar.

We all know how hotel restaurants are what some people might consider to be pricey. Everything on the menu was at $18.99 and above, except for a bowl of soup. They were offering soup of the day for "only" $9.99. Wow, what a deal!

I only had ten bucks and change on me, so I ended up having cream of broccoli. As you can imagine, it was not exactly fulfilling - it was like ordering a very expensive can of Campbell's Soup; but it did its job, temporarily wiping away hunger pangs. We quickly slurped our soups, ate all the crackers we could (in fact, we stuffed several more small bags of crackers in our pockets in case we got hungry later), paid the bill and returned to the seminar for the rest of the afternoon.

After it was over, I went home and went straight to the mailbox to find a hefty stack of mail waiting for me. One envelope immediately grabbed my attention. It was flaming red with no return address on it. Intrigued, I opened that one first.

As I was opening it, something fell out. What I saw shocked me. It was literally floating like a butterfly, sliding down to the floor in slow motion. Mesmerized, I stared at it. Was this a dream? Was this really happening? When I came to my senses, I quickly picked it up and shoved it in my pocket, lest someone else, who happened to be walking by in the lobby, had the same idea.

Can you guess what it was?

It was a $10 bill!

Have you ever had an experience like that? Perhaps you found money on the sidewalk or money came to you unexpectedly from an unknown source, just when you needed it? Or perhaps you took a risk and paid for something, not knowing you would get your investment back?

Now more intrigued then ever, I tore open the red envelope, wondering where it came from. The letter was from a survey company “bribing” me to fill out a survey. I thought to myself, “Hey, no problem, you just paid for my lunch today!”

Then it hit me, who says God can’t handle small details?

Food for thought: By being open minded and trusting of what comes your way, worry not, nothing that arrives will be more than what you can handle. The world is conspiring to bless you if you just believe it.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home