Thursday, July 19, 2007

Walking the Talk and Taking Pimping to New Level

NOTICE: We've Moved! Please click here to be taken to the new location!!

The other day I was reading an article somewhere on the Internet (I regret that I did not save it for future reference) on whether speakers, writers, authors, coaches and other so-called personal development experts follow what they preach. In other words, are they "walking the talk"?

How about you? Do you walk the talk? Do you find yourself doling out advice and then following it yourself? Or do you preach one thing but behave in a contrary manner?

One of the things I most admire in other people is their level of authenticity. Because I respect people of this stature and want to emulate this character trait, I am very conscientious of my own behavior and monitor whether I also "walk the talk." If there's anything that makes me want to vomit, it's being in the presence of hypocrites. You can spot them a mile away.

A few days ago, I wrote "Pimping the so-called Competition." In that article and another one (see here), I emphasized that there is no such thing as competition. Why? Because it's all a matter of how we perceive things. It's actually very smart business to help others out there, especially if their work truly inspires you. If you understand and respect the spiritual law of giving and receiving, then this concept will make perfect sense!

Mindful of the need to stay true to my words from the other day, I've decided to take the art of pimping to another level today. On the upper left hand corner, is a photo of a fellow self development writer, speaker and author that I've had the good fortune to become friends with recently. His name is Phil Gerbyshak from Make it Great!

While I've read a lot of Phil's articles, there was one that touched me to the core, making me want to pimp the hell out of him. He wrote a beautiful, touching story of his experiences as a young boy who faced adversity along the way: "The Power of Positive Thinking." You'll find that he writes from the heart and shares his innermost thoughts, fears and beliefs, telling himself over and over again, "I can do it." It's worth your time to read it.

Well, my goodness you're back! What did you think of it? Didn't it remind you of your own life's experiences? Didn't it bore a striking resemblence to some of my stories ("Adversity in Elementary School," "Three Words," "The Bully")?

Food for thought: Do you walk the talk? Have you thought about taking the art of pimping to another level and telling the world about someone who truly made a difference in your life? Why not do it in an unconventional way, surprising, even shocking people?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Putz said...

Phil's a great guy!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Stephen J. Hopson said...

Karen:

Yes, he sure is! If you look at his photo, you can't help but be warmed by his genuine smile. We are already fast friends in cyberspace and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up meeting. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if YOU AND I met too!

One of the wonderful things about blogging is that I am networking with a vast number of people that I wouldn't have done otherwise and it's really a lot of fun. I've been fortunate to come across people who are geniune and who truly have a heart. It uplifts me to interact with these kinds of people. It goes to show that the world is full of good people, contrary to what the news media may report.

Thanks so much for becoming an integral part of Adversity University. I am so glad I reopened the comments section because now I can interact with people right here at this blog (although I am seriously contemplating a move to a bigger, better and more flexible platform like WP or TP - see my latest post).

Have a great weekend!!

Stephen

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home